John Marrese is a trial attorney focusing his practice on complex class action, mass tort, personal injury, and commercial litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Mr. Marrese has broad experience at trial and in the courtroom, having handled the direct and cross examination of key witnesses in jury trials, arbitration, and other evidentiary hearings before judges and arbitrators. Mr. Marrese’s trial practice has traversed a variety of subject matters, including personal injury, products liability, civil rights, and commercial litigation.
In addition, Mr. Marrese has extensive experience in the state and federal appellate courts. He has argued before a panel of both the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Illinois Appellate Court. Recently on appeal, Mr. Marrese obtained a favorable reversal of a trial court decision in a class action for his clients.
Mr. Marrese has also been appointed lead class counsel in class action litigation. He has successfully devised and executed class action discovery and briefing in the class certification context.
For six years running, Mr. Marrese has been selected as an Illinois SuperLawyers Rising Star in the area of class actions and mass torts, an honor awarded annually to no more than 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40 in the state.
Mr. Marrese obtained his law degree cum laude from The Ohio State University. He attended college at Emory University in Atlanta.
- The Ohio State University, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, Chief Managing Editor
- Moot Court Team
- CALI Award for Excellence, Trial Practice
- CALI Award for Excellence, Appellate Advocacy
- Emory University, B.A., 2007
- Illinois, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2014
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2019
- Illinois SuperLawyers Rising Star (Class Actions/Mass Torts), 2016-2021
- Jury trial and arbitration/evidentiary hearing experience, including handling the direct and cross examinations of key witnesses and opening and closing statements before judges, juries, and arbitrators.
- Appointed co-lead class counsel for class of prisoners in federal class action alleging constitutional/privacy violations against the government.
- Successfully argued in the Illinois appellate court for reversal of a trial court decision on behalf of plaintiff-appellant in putative class action.
- Argued before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of union workers alleging privacy violations against their employer.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national restaurant chain in wage and hour class and collective action litigation in federal court.
- Defended product manufacturer at arbitration against allegations of product defect, resulting in small fraction of award sought by plaintiff for bodily injury.
- Assisted in trial and trial preparation on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in personal injury, products liability, commercial, civil rights, and labor and employment disputes.